The choice of irrigating with drip or sprinkler systems, there is no simple answer. You need to consider the plant and specifically the root area that you are watering, for most plants irrigating a large portion of the root volume is important. You may find a lot of information that drip is superior, this is likely crop-specific and climate-specific, New Zealand's climate with regular rainfall commonly produces trees with large root volumes. A sprinkler system is the most common system we recommend for large root areas such as Apples, Pears, Stone fruit, Kiwifruit, Truffles, Passionfruit, Avocadoes, and Olives.
Drip systems are commonly used in crops such as Strawberries, Blueberries, Vineyards, and smaller orchard trees.
From all the options available, how do you choose a sprinkler system to suit your orchard?
If you are expanding an existing irrigation system the general recommendation is to stay with the same style of sprinkler you have as this will make management a lot easier, unless the existing sprinklers are causing a problem for you.
The sprinkler we recommend most is the Netafim Supernet, and there are some very good reasons for this choice. The sprinkler has the best range of flow regulation in the market, and it has a self-flushing mechanism that reduces the chance of blocking, it is a quality sprinkler built to last, it has many stand options and connection options to suit.
- Wide regulating range and floating, self-flushing diaphragm maintains uniform flow across a broad pressure range.
- Highest distribution uniformity - unique nozzle tube prevents adverse effects of varying inlet pressure on the wetted diameter.
- The largest water passages on the market – resists clogging.
- Drop-down “bug-proof” swivel/jet plate prevents entry of insects.
- Engineering-grade materials and heavy-duty bearing results in superior endurance and long-term reliable uniformity.
- Everspin bearing has a layer of sapphire material to reduce friction and wear, promoting long-lasting sprinkler performance.
- Bearing keeps the swivel centred during operation and improves
Common alternatives to the SuperNet sprinklers, for kiwifruit irrigation, are the Nelson R10 and R10 Turbos and the Rivulis S2000 sprinklers. The Netafim SuperNets, Nelson R10s and Rivulis S2000s are ideal choices for a wide range of applications including irrigation, cooling, and frost protection for orchards and groves.